Re: how to force C++ objects to an address? (ABI issue B-7)

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 10:33:18PM -0400, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Sorry, I switched directions on you.  First I talked about using a
> shared library as you suggested.  Then I switched to not using a
> shared library.

Ah!  I understand then. Thanks.

> Admittedly you lose the advantage of a shared library, as the vtable
> functions are duplicated in each executable rather than shared in a
> single instance.  Unfortunately you may have to give up something to
> get this to work.

It would seem so...

Clutching at straws, if a .so file was already mmap'd into a processes
address space, is there any chance that a subsequent dlopen would
decide to use that existing copy?  (Hmm - that sounds a bit unlikely)

Alternatively, if one were to think about changing Linux to support
this - e.g. creating a variant on dlopen that took an address, or
maybe better using the (unused?) physical address field in the
program headers to indicate where a library should be loaded, or
perhaps less intrusively an extra section to supply that information,
is it realistic to hope this might be acceptable for the wider world?

Rgds

Anthony

do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., its
subsidiaries and affiliates.