Re: binutils-2.14: gmake check fails on Solaris9.

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Nick Clifton wrote:

> Hi Hugh,
>
> > How can I find out if the output below is normal for binutils built
> > with 'gcc (GCC) 3.3.2' on Solaris9.
>
> There is no database of the normal results for particular
> architectures and particular binutils releases.  The general principle
> however is that there should be no unexpected failures in any of the
> testsuites.  In practice this is often not the case, but then the onus

This "in practice" is the essence of my problem. :-) I've poked
about in bugzilla and with google and can't really see what the
state of play is with these.  My current failure case is way too
big: libpng-1.2.5 builds OK with 2.12, but graphviz-1.10 built with
2.12, and 2.14 (2-14 --prefix'ed into /scratch/local) seg faults
with signal 11, so I'm having a hard time producing anything very
diagnostic and concise.  At the time of writing this I'm trying to build
libpng-1.2.5 with 2.14 to see if that enables me to build graphviz
against the 2.14 linker.

> is on the binutils maintainers to find and fix these failures.  (Or
> else decide that they are not failures at all and then modify the test
> accordingly).
>
> > Where is the information about the actual failures?
>
> There will be files named <tool>.log in the various sub-directories.
> So for example the linker test results will held in a file called
> ld.log.  Due to historical inconsistencies these files are sometimes
> in the build sub-directories themselves (eg <build>/ld/ld.log) and
> sometimes in a sub-sub-directory called testsuite (eg
> <build>/gas/testsuite/gas.log).

Would it be sensible to modify the build process so that when errors
occur something like

echo See `find $BUILD_DIR -type f -name ld.log -print` for more details

is executed?  Maybe there is a good reason for not doing this that I
have missed.

> > What is the global config file that it complains about, or is that
> > strictly a dejagnu question?
>
> > WARNING: Couldn't find the global config file.
> > WARNING: Couldn't find tool init file
>
> It is a dejagnu thing.  It is looking for an environment variable
        [...]

Oh, OK, thank you, and for the elided info.

> Cheers
>         Nick

        Thank you,
        Hugh