Re: FW: Re: Why is my executabel in DOS file format?

> Dunno.  Probably one of the maintainers will approve or deny the
> patch.  I don't really like the global variable or the objcopy command
> line option, so I'm not too excited about it.  But maybe somebody else
> will push it forward.

BFD policy would prohibit a global variable as an ABI.  It must be
some field in the bfd's target-private data, accessed via some
function API which will fail gracefully if it's called on the wrong
type of bfd.

The patch as submitted would cause a build failure for any build that
didn't include srec, and if in the future srec became two bfd types
(like coff-i386, for example), you'd get link errors then also.

IMHO it would be better to create a new bfd target type for the
alternate srec line endings, say, sreclf or something.  This should be
easy to do if you follow the pattern of the other targets, where one
file just #defines a flag and includes the other (common) file.
That's similar to the big/little endian alternates we do for other
bfds.  It also doesn't require any new options in *any* utility, since
they all already support selecting the target type.

Or complain to your loader vendor that they're too conservative in
what they accept ;-)