This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Pack Elf_External_Note
- From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian at wasabisystems dot com>
- To: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at mvista dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: 29 Jan 2004 14:02:08 -0500
- Subject: Re: Pack Elf_External_Note
- References: <20040129154939.GA10454@nevyn.them.org>
Daniel Jacobowitz <email@example.com> writes:
> Something I mentioned four months ago. Alan fixed the only place in BFD
> that I know of which assumed the size of this structure, but the extra
> packed attribute is a guard against future problems.
I don't really like this. A feature we try to preserve in the
binutils is for them to serve to bootstrap the GNU tools on a new
system. Adding a gcc specific feature like that to elf/external.h can
potentially hide a problem which would arise when bootstrapping with a
non-gcc compiler. I would prefer to leave the problem exposed, so
that it is more likely to be fixed before it becomes a problem.