This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: PATCH: Optimize IA64 brl to br
- From: "Zack Weinberg" <zack at codesourcery dot com>
- To: "H. J. Lu" <hjl at lucon dot org>
- Cc: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:13:39 -0800
- Subject: Re: PATCH: Optimize IA64 brl to br
- References: <20040129000632.GA14782@lucon.org>
"H. J. Lu" <email@example.com> writes:
> The IA64 compiler may generate brl. But it may be replaced by br
> during the relax finalize pass. This patch implements it.
Is this replacement actually an improvement? It doesn't shrink the
code, or execute anything in the now-freed-up slot, so the only way
it could be is if br is faster than brl, and this I find unlikely.