This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
- From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian at wasabisystems dot com>
- To: Brian Blietz <bblietz at iastate dot edu>
- Cc: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: 25 Jan 2004 18:51:32 -0500
- Subject: Re: Relocation
- References: <401412AA.email@example.com>
Brian Blietz <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> Who looks up global_variable in the symbol table, and
> fixes addresses with their offsets?
Normally, the linker, ld. It does then when it links the program.
> I know it is in the loader, but that is about it.
> I need to modify this process, and I don't
> know where the source is.
The linker is part of the GNU binutils.
Note that on GNU/Linux the loader is a different program, also called
the dynamic linker, ld.so. If the address to be pushed is in a shared
library, then the dynamic linker will compute the address at program