This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: mips address+symbol issue.
- From: Thiemo Seufer <ica2_ts at csv dot ica dot uni-stuttgart dot de>
- To: cgd at broadcom dot com
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:44:05 +0100
- Subject: Re: mips address+symbol issue.
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> I can think of several possible solutions here:
> (1) don't allow GCC to emit "dla sym+offset" for
> -mno-explicit-relocs, or maybe just for -mno-explicit-relocs
> and the ABIs which stuff 64-bit pointers into 32-bit object
> (2) make binutils emit long code sequences for sym + offset when
> assembling objects for an ABI which stuffs 64-bit pointers
> into 32-bit object files.
AFAICS this is only EABI64, so we can just add it to the
HAS_64BIT_ADDRESSES macro in gas.
> (3) punt. (maybe even xfail the test for some MIPS targets w/
> It seems to me that (2) is *probably* the right fix, but others'
> opinions would be appreciated. I think I'm OK with (3), too, but it
> might bite others down the road...
I prefer (2), slow but working code is better than broken code.