Including binutils version information in a binary

Off the top of my head I can think of three reasonable ways to include
linker/assembler version information in an object file.

1)  A symbol.
2)  A .note entry.
3)  A .comment entry.

Which of these methods (or any better suggestions) would be most likely to
be accepted as a patch?