Re: 'what' and 'mcs' in binutils?

"Nisbach T., DP ITS, SCC, D" <Thomas.Nisbach@dp-itsolutions.de> writes:

> 'what' searches an object/binary file for the SCCS
> versioning tag '@(#)' and displays the string following.
>
> 'mcs' (manipulate comment section) can add/delete/...
> arbitrary string to/from the '.comment' section of ELF.
> This is useful to add any kind of release
> information to an existing binary. 'what' lets you
> display this information.

> My question:
> =========
> Is it intended to implement these commands?

I don't think there is any such intention at this time.  As you noted,
it's easy enough to emulate them.  That said, if somebody pushed to
contribute them, people would probably accept them.

> This email is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient,
> you must not disclose or use the information contained in it. If
> you have received this mail in error, please tell us immediately
> by return email and delete the document.
>
> DP ITSolutions GmbH

I'm sorry about this, but you absolutely must remove this disclaimer
before you send any more e-mails to this mailing list.  I'm sure it is
something that you have little control over.  But your e-mail message
has now been archived on a publically accessible web site and
therefore has been disclosed to people who are not the intended
recipient.  This has been done automatically by scripts which we run,
and we have therefore unintentionally violated the restrictions on
your e-mail message.  You have thus imposed a potential legal
liability on us, which is really unfair and inappropriate.  I will not
be responding to any further messages from you which include this
disclaimer.

Ian