Re: RFA: ARM dynamic object tests

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 07:05:45PM -0500, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>
> > +++ ld/testsuite/ld-arm/arm-elf.exp	2004-01-02 12:53:06.000000000 -0500
>
> > +# List contains test-items with 3 items followed by 2 lists:
> > +# 0:name 1:ld options 2:assembler options
> > +# 3:filenames of assembler files 4: action and options. 5: name of output file
>
> Why not make the tests self-contained, using e.g.
> ld-mmix/mmix.exp as a template, or the ordered ones (for
> re-using previous linked files) in ld-cris/cris.exp or
> ld-sh/rd-sh.exp?  No need for separate lists etc; simpler to add
> new tests, simpler to see what the test does...  Right, you need
> to link for each tested output, but that shouldn't really
> matter.

I started with mmix as a template but that makes it impossible to
re-use previously linked files.  Forgive me for not reading every .exp
file currently in existence before writing this one :P

By the way, ld-cris.exp is technically wrong. The use of exec means you
!= can't run the tests with build host; instead you have to run the
tests on the host.  Hmm, I see that the rest of the ld tests are
absolutely littered with this assumption too, so I guess it really
makes no difference.

I don't have any problems reading the input of run_ld_link_tests, which
you'll notice is in lib/ld-lib.exp anyway and therefore just as much a
first-class citizen as run_dump_tests.  It offers the ability to save
the output file which was all I needed.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz