Re: [patch] automake 1.8 support for gas

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 11:02:25PM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>
> > I can't approve it but it looks OK to me.  Shouldn't you add 1.8 to
> > gas/Makefile.am:AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS also?
>
>  It wouldn't hurt, but there's no need to.  The requirement in the
> subdirectory will trigger anyway and the top level doesn't really need 1.8
> at the moment.

Now I can approve it.  The patch is OK.

> > Meanwhile, do you have any idea about the next of many automake
> > problems I've noticed: the rule which makes Makefile dependent on
> > bfd/configure.in (for the version number) now supresses rebuilding of
> > the Makefile.  This is a documented change in autoconf 1.7/1.8.  I
> > don't see any way to add a dependency to a default rule without
> > replacing it entirely.
>
>  Well, the following patch works for me. :-)
>
> 2003-12-22  Maciej W. Rozycki  <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
>
> 	* Makefile.am (Makefile): Move the dependency on
> 	$(BFDDIR)/configure.in to...
> 	(CONFIG_STATUS_DEPENDENCIES): ... here.
> 	(AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS): Require automake 1.8.
> 	* Makefile.in: Regenerate.
> 	* doc/Makefile.am (BASEDIR, BFDDIR): Define.
> 	(CONFIG_STATUS_DEPENDENCIES): Add a dependency on
> 	$(BFDDIR)/configure.in here as well.
> 	* doc/Makefile.in: Regenerate.
>
>  This time automake 1.8 is required at the top level of gas as well
> (although CONFIG_STATUS_DEPENDENCIES is documented to have been present
> earlier, but it was undocumented).
>
>  OK to apply?

So is this one.  In fact, this fixes a bug - the dependency of
gas/Makefile->bfd/configure.in was never right, since config.status
actually has to be regenerated to get the new version number, I think.

Thanks!

--
Daniel Jacobowitz