Re: [patch] automake 1.8 support for gas

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:

> > Take a look at the NEWS file for Automake 1.8.  The _presence_ of a
> > rule for install (even with no actions) suppresses the default rule for
> > install.  Thus install-man is not automatically invoked by automake.
> >
> > This patch fixes the problem by no longer overriding install.
>
> Thanks.  That's IMHO exactly what should be spelled out by a
> change to the comment above the changed dependency in the
> Makefile.am file.

 Well, "install-data" is the right target for installing man pages and
"install-data-local" is the corresponding hook for local adjustments.
Using "install" here is exploiting an undocumented property of automake
that happens not to work any longer.  In that sense it is a bug in our
Makefile and the dependency shouldn't be expressed this way in the first
place.  After the change, the recommended way is used as documented in the
automake manual and I do not feel like duplicating that here -- anyone
fiddling with the Makefile is supposed to have a rough understanding of
how automake works, isn't one?

  Maciej