RE: SH relocation differences in older versions of the binutils

A few questions, if I may.

Would I be correct in saying that the reason that the ABIVERSION was not
incremented with this change is because it was ultimately considered a huge
bug fix instead of a new ABI?

Aside from parsing the relocs and attempting to determine which version of
the table they're using, can anyone recommend a way to determine whether an
object uses the old relocs or new?  Right now we're looking for a way to
dynamically translate the reloc table to the new relocs at link time.