Re: flag day for Solaris portions of config.{guess,sub}

Paul Eggert <eggert@CS.UCLA.EDU> writes:

> > But were they really affected? I mean, beyond scratching their head for 2
> > minutes after seeing the triplet.
>
> 2 minutes times 90 students is three hours.  And that's just one
> class in one quarter at one university.  After a while it starts to
> add up.  We want to encourage newbies, not confuse them.

Yes, but the job is perfectly parallelised :-)

My opinion (if it matters) is that we should choose a triplet that
insulates us from marketing types at Sun.  sunos5.x seems like a
reasonable choice, but I understand the the change is going to be
really problematic.

Please keep in mind that I know of system administrators who use
config.guess to help set up paths when users log in.  Thus, they have
/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/ etc. and a change to config.guess'
output will cause them a bit of grief.

Ben