Re: .unreq patch

Hi Pete,

> I was wondering if this patch was ever incorporated into the
> binutils distribution:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2003-07/msg00622.html
>
> The copyright assignment was executed on 28 August.

I never received notification of the copyright execution, so no, it
had not been checked in.

I have gone over the patch and applied it to the sources.  I did have
to make several changes however, which I am going to document here:

  * The .unreq pseudo op can be used to remove builtin register
    aliases.  These come from a const data structure however and so
    the memory associated with them must not be freed.

  * The patch to c-arm.texi implied that .unreq took the name of the
    register that was aliases as its argument (eg 'r0') instead of the
    name of the alias (eg "foo").

  * There was no testcase added to the gas testsuite to make sure that
    the new feature was working.

  * You did not supply a ChangeLog entry for your patch.

I have fixed all of these things and checked in the patch with these
ChangeLog entries:

gas/ChangeLog
2003-11-06  Pete Gonzalez  <pgonzalez@bluel.com>

	* config/tc-arm.texi (struct reg_entry): Add new field 'builtin'.
	(rn_table, iwmmxt_table, cp_table, cn_table, fn_table, sn_table,
	dn_table, mav_mvf_table, mac_mvd_table, mav_mvfx_table,
	mav_mvax_table, mav_dspc_table): Initialise new field.
	(insert_reg_alias): Initialise new field.
	(md_pseudo_table): Add "unreq" entry.
	(s_unreq): New function: Undo the effects of a previous .req.
	* doc/c-arm.texi: Document new pseudo op.
	* NEWS: Mention new feature.

gas/testsuite/ChangeLog
2003-11-06  Nick Clifton  <nickc@redhat.com>

	* gas/arm/req.s: New test file.  Check .req and .unreq pseudo ops.
	* gas/arm/req.l: Expected error output from req.s test.
	* gas/arm/copro.d: Set target architecture for objdump so that the
	test will work on architectures which cannot encode higher arm
	architecture types in their file headers.
	* gas/arm/arm.exp: Run new req.s test.
	Skip thumb instruction test for PE targets which do not support
	thumb relocations.
	* gas/elf/elf.exp: Skip special handling of section2 test for
	XScale targets - it is no longer needed.