Re: [patch] MIPS/ELF: %call_r/%got_r operators for relocation override

"Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl> writes:
> >         If you want to disable lazy binding for a particular call, you
> >         can simply use a separate la/jalr.  I imagine that's what most
> >         people would use in practice since it would work with any
> >         assembler.
>
>  I've already considered it, but I'm worrying of this case since one may
> want to use "jal" to be sure the immediate R_MIPS_26 is used in the
> non-PIC case.  Otherwise I'd fully agree.

But do you know of any case like that?

You're catering for someone who is writing code which might be compiled
as PIC or non-PIC.  But that they know in the PIC case that they don't
want the called function to be lazily bound, even though there may be
no non-call relocs to prevent it.

If someone did find themselves in that situation, I think it's
reasonable to ask them to use preprocessor macros instead.

I guess the same could be true of the load address stuff as well.

Richard