Re: GNU as 2.14 on IRIX 6: crashes with shared libs

Eric Christopher <echristo@redhat.com> writes:
> > Obviously, the runtime linker (rld) crashes early during startup (which
> > explains no output from rld.debug ;-).  While crashing rld is clearly a bug
> > there (which I may well report to SGI), it looks like relocations are
> > seriously busted.  Has anyone else seen this, or been able to successfully
> > use this combination?
> >
> > Any insights welcome.
>
> Richard was the last to build and test IRIX 6.5 afaik and check
> something in... Richard?

Only on mainline though.

Rainier: you say you used "gas 2.14 (and 2.14.90 from current CVS mainline)"
but which linker?  The 2.14 linker is known not to work with shared libraries.
That's what my patches were supposed to fix.

FWIW, the problems you described were similar to the ones I saw when using
GNU ld 2.14 (segfaults in rld).  But I haven't seen this sort of problem
using gas with the native linker.

Richard