Can the gcc in the modern linux system generate a.out executables?

For some reason,I must execute an a.out executable in modern linux system(Redhat8.0).There are three questions puzzled me.
1.Can the gcc in the modern linux system generate a.out executables? How to?
2.If the modern gcc can't,are there some else free compilers can do it?
  Where can I find the compiler ?
3.The executable compiled by minix can't be identified in morden linux system.Why?
  Maybe the header or magic number is different.May I change something to make it work?How to?

Thanks to anyone for anything they can give me.

        Deng Tong
        deng_tong@hotmail.com
          2003-07-02