Re: RFC: Support for separate debug info files

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 10:40:18AM +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
>   This leads me to my main point.  Do we need the ability to create
>   stripped debuginfo files ?  The original patch did this, but it
>   turns out to be problematical since the debuginfo files need to
>   contain dummy versions of the .text, .data, etc sections.  Doing
>   this, rather than just stripping them out, looked non-trivial, so I
>   decided to skip it for this version.

By stripped debuginfo files you mean what eu-strip -f creates, right?
(ie. ET_DYN resp. ET_EXEC with the sections which were not stripped
turned into SHT_NOBITS sections).
I think harddrive space is not the main problem (although the difference can
be big, openoffice-debuginfo ATM takes 1.2GB and when all the .text/.data
etc. sections were in as well, I think it could grow easily by further
300MB), which is how you install it, because suddenly you have to transfer
more bytes from the network in order to debug packages, and not everybody
has a fast pipe.

	Jakub