Re: What binutils version is compatible with gcc 3.3 ?

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 07:03:35AM -0700, Mark D. Baushke wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have tried a number of different combinations in building a
> mipsisa32-elf cross compiler.
>
> I was trying to build a merged newlib 1.11.0 + binutils 2.13.2.1 +
> gcc-3.3 tree and it seems that there is a fair amount of drift between
> the two libiberty versions. This results in not being able to build
> the entire tree for one dependency on libiberty or another.
>
> Note: I would like to use 'released' versions of each of newlib,
> binutils, and gcc, so I was wondering when you think binutils 2.14 might
> be released?
>
> (Also, has the choice been made yet about where to build the c++filt
> program?)
>
> I figured that if binutils 2.13.2.1 was not ready, I should try the
> latest binutils from cvs. However, the top-of-tree binutils seems to
> give problems when merged with gcc 3.3.

You really can not do combined builds using released versions.  As
you've found, shared files drift too much.

Although, in general it should work if you just take the newest version
of each file.  libiberty is always backwards compatible.

> This make will fail due to an undefined reference to lrealpath() when
> ld/ld-new is being linked.
>
> When I attempted to swap the order of binutils and gcc in the creation
> of the combined directory, then things fail in a different place. In
> this case, it is in libgloss while trying to build cygmon.o

Then the version of libgloss you're using can not be compiled with gcc
3.3.  That's a different problem.

> ../../../../combined/libgloss/mips/cygmon.c:63:18: missing terminating " character
> ../../../../combined/libgloss/mips/cygmon.c: In function `sysCall':
> ../../../../combined/libgloss/mips/cygmon.c:64: error: parse error before "move"
> ../../../../combined/libgloss/mips/cygmon.c:70:69: missing terminating " character
> gmake[2]: *** [cygmon.o] Error 1

Looks like a missing backslash in a multi-line string.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz