Re: RFA: Please comment on this ia64 patch

H. J. Lu wrote:
I added the support for 'o' and "unwind" in section directive for ia64
in this patch

The part I can't answer is the question about having a generic letter that maps to SEC_LINK_ORDER. Someone else would have to comment on that. I suspect it wouldn't be very useful at this time because GNU/Linux doesn't actively use SEC_LINK_ORDER.

I noticed you didn't put 'o' into the IA-64 error message. If we are accepting 'o', we should document it in the error message.

I noticed you don't set the SHF_LINK_ORDER when seeing the 'o'. This does do something useful, though maybe not for GNU/Linux system. I know that the IA-64 ABI and HPUX require that it be set. This has come up before. Note that bfd/elfxx-ia64.c tries to set SHF_LINK_ORDER and SHT_IA_64_UNWIND for unwind section. So I think your patch should return SHF_LINK_ORDER for 'o' to be consistent. See also the code in elfNN_ia64_final_write_processing that sets the sh_link and sh_info fields which is supposed to make SHF_LINK_ORDER useful.

Otherwise the patch looks fine. The non-IA-64 parts look like obvious bug fixes, so I'll approve the entire patch with the two suggestions I made above.

Jim