Re: .macro bug in gas for IA64

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 05:44:54PM -0500, Jim Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 06:22, Nick Clifton wrote:
> > It seems to me that your proposed patch would disallow multiple
> > instructions on a single line inside macro blocks (for the IA64 at least).
>
> This is correct.  For a testcase like this:
>         .macro foo ; add r0 = r1, r2 ; .endm
>         foo
> I get with the patch
> tmp3.s: Assembler messages:
> tmp3.s:1: Error: unexpected end of file in macro definition

Ah, so Nick was right.  I had tested multple instructions, but not the
" .... ; .endm" case.

> . . . . The patch from Tim Connors
> breaks this.

It sure does.

> That gives me the first following patch.
> (snip)
> First patch:
> (snip)
> Second patch, based on Tim's patch:
> (snip)
> This gives me the second patch.  I didn't flesh this one out
> further since the first patch seems like a better idea.

As I explained in my reply to Nick, I have no preference as to what
the fix is.  Jim's first patch looks good to me - eg, it doesn't
require an md hook.  For now, I have a locally patched assembler that
meets my needs.  I'd appreciate it, Jim, if you could eventually apply
your patch.  No hurry, but I'd like to know that this bug will be
fixed sometime so that I can use macros with confidence.

Thanks for your attention,
-Tim