[RFC] BFD library installation

Hi,

What is the exact motivation behind...

1) ... not installing libbfd.a per default when compiling cross targets.

I have written a communication application for a specific development kit for the tic4x target, dsktools, and to be able to use the generated coff files from the GNU tools, I must rely on the BFD library. As libbfd.a is not installed per. default I now need to instruct all users of this program to install the library manually -- which I feel is cumbersome. Thus I wonder why binutils has taken this turn and made it this way... I tend to use the BFD library very often, and I dont quire see why it was removed.

2) ... installing the bfd library under a machine-specific directory.

I must admit that I quite dont understand the motivation behind this! (please enlighten me.) When I compile the binutils on a linux host for the tic4x target, it will install the (host) binaries under $prefix/tic4x/bin and $prefix/bin. Why not still install the target-specific libbfd.a under $prefix/tic4x/lib as it once was? I mean, the other tools in $prefix/tic4x/bin is also host-specific executeables, right?

All the tools that I have written that needs the libbfd.a library will now need a config.sub script lying around to properly discover the host-triplet.

Thanks, Svein