Re: ia64 ltoff22x/ldxmov relaxation

  Rich> On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 04:51:38PM -0800, David Mosberger wrote:
  >> The main reason to keep it is to preserve the ability to change the
  >> kernel's VM system in the future.

  Rich> In what way?

E.g., to get better TLB sharing, you could globally share the
read-only portion of a program.  That can be easier if its in a
separate region.  Also, with the current VM system, it's easier to
support different page sizes if they are in different regions, but
there are ways to fix that, so it isn't a terribly strong argument.

  >> But if we can change the layout to
  >> (almost) contiguous without breaking existing binaries, I suppose we
  >> don't really lose any flexibility (since we could change it back
  >> again, if necessary).

  Rich> And do what with the binaries created in the meantime?

It certainly would complicate life, so it's not something I'd just
without good reasons.

	--david