Versioned symbol linking bug

I'm not exactly sure what's going on; if this isn't a bug, please tell me
so...

Consider this file:
int function()
{
  return 1;
}

And this version script:
WXGTK_2.4 {
  *;
};

And this sequence:
$ gcc -c test.c
$ ld --version-script test.ver -shared -o test.so test.o
$ ld -shared -o test2.so test.so test.o

ld: test2.so: undefined versioned symbol name function@@WXGTK_2.4
ld: failed to set dynamic section sizes: Bad value

Shouldn't the unversioned copy of function be able to coexist with the
versioned copy?  And is there anything we can do about that inaccurate error
message?

[This is coming from crtsaveres.o in GCC for PowerPC/Linux; the actual
function is _restfpr_26_x.]

--
Daniel Jacobowitz