Re: as doesn't recognize "# line file"

> Hi Magro,
>
> >  echo \
> >  '# 1 file.S
> >  movw %al, %al' > file.s
> >  gcc file.s
> >  file.s: Assembler messages:
> >  file.s:2: Error: `%al' not allowed with `movw'
> >
> > Is this how it's supposed to behave?
>
> Yes.  Try removing the '# 1 file.S' line and just assembling the movw
> line.  You will still get the same error message.

Seems like I'm misunderstood here...(sorry if the point wasn't clear)
What I meant was that I *am* getting the (exact) same error message with
and without '# 1 file.S', and that's the problem.  I was expecting as to
report a file name with an uppercase S instead of a lowercase (the error
itself is intentional):

 file.S:2: Error: `%al' not allowed with `movw'

The manual says that as processes the `# line file' output from cpp, and
on subsequent output, reports file & line specified with it. (The first
line in e.g.2 was meant to emulate a part of cpp's output)
So, again, is this how as is supposed to behave, to ignore '# line file'?

The main problem this behaviour is causing is that the :make command in
vim gets tricked by the output, and searches for the tmp file or a file named
`{standard input}', or if a file is #include'ed, jumps to a wrong line.

Jun Inoue
(Please call me with my real name... last time I forgot to edit the