Re: Relocs against unalloced sections in shared libraries

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 02:09:38PM -0800, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 01:50:51PM +1030, Alan Modra wrote:
> > But by its nature, debug info is describing local entities.
>
> Not true.  All symbols in a header file get debug info.
> Those symbols may well be external to the DSO.

Well, OK, my statement was rather too sweeping.  However, should we
care about such debug info _in a DSO_?  How is debug info describing
non-local entities useful?  Won't you have the info available from
the definition of such an entity, except if undefined?  (Discounting
the case where the defining object was compiled without -g, which I
don't think we should worry about.)

I'd like to get this one nailed down, because if powerpc and alpha
ld are correct then a whole lot of other targets are broken.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre