Re: ld won't complain if asked to link obj files of different arches

Hi Guys

> bfd/ChangeLog
> 2002-12-18  Nick Clifton  <nickc@redhat.com>
>
> 	* archures.c (bfd_arch_get_compatible): Add third parameter
> 	'accept_unknowns'.  Only accept unknown format BFDs if
> 	accept_unknowns is true.
>         * bfd-in2.h: Regenerate.
>
> binutils/ChangeLog
> 2002-12-18  Nick Clifton  <nickc@redhat.com>
>
> 	* nlmconv.c (main): Pass TRUE as third argument to
> 	bfd_arch_get_compatible.
>
> ld/ChangeLog
> 2002-12-18  Nick Clifton  <nickc@redhat.com>
>
> 	* ld.h (struct args_type): Add new field
> 	'accept_unknown_input_format'.
>         * ldmain.c (main): Initialise 'accept_unknown_input_format' to
> 	false.
>         * ldlang.c (lang_check): Pass accept_unknown_input_format to
> 	bfd_arch_get_compatible.
>         * ldfile.c (ldfile_try_open_bfd): Likewise.
>         * lexsup.c (ld_options): Add new command line switch
> 	--accept-unknown-input-format and its inverse.
>         (parse_args): Handle --accept-unknown-input-format.
>         * ld.texinfo: Document new linker option.
>         * NEWS: Mention new linker option.

I am going to go ahead and apply this patch.  I know that H.J. still
have reservations about it being the new default behaviour for the
linker.  If we receive reports about this new behaviour breaking
existing projects then I am prepared to change things around, but
until then the new behaviour sticks.