Re: [RFC] Update to current automake/autoconf/libtool versions.

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 08:26:53AM -0500, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Klee Dienes wrote:
> > The following patch updates the following directories to use the latest
> > versions of libtool, autoconf, and automake:
>
> Bravo!  Great!

Agreed, but it needs a little more work.  I ran Klee's script (minus
the rm and cvs update - I want to keep a few local mods!) last night
and my binutils builds went uneventfully.  There were a few make
warnings about commands being overridden, but that's a minor problem.
The big problem, as others have noted, is that "make install" doesn't
install properly on a native build.  ie. with --build=i686-linux
--host=i686-linux --target=i686-linux I get tools installed as
i686-linux-$tool rather than plain $tool.  It seems that
program_prefix is now set by configure whenever --target is
specified, which I suppose is not a bad idea.  I'm happy to have the
tools installed as i686-linux-$tool, but I want them installed as
$tool too!

One other nit: Your changelog mentions binutils/configure where
you're in fact patching the toplevel configure.  You probably need to
explain why this particular patch was necessary too.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre