Re: PATCH: Fix mixing MIPS object files.

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, H. J. Lu wrote:

> > > Linux 32bit MIPS kernel won't load any MIPS binaries marked MIPS III
> > > or above.
> >
> >  It will.  While MIPS III doesn't add anything useful for the 32-bit mode,
> > MIPS IV does.  The kernel actually doesn't care of the ISA -- it checks
> > the ABI to run o32 executables only..
>
> Now the question is
>
> # mipsel-linux-as -mips[3|4|5|64]
> # mipsel-linux-as -march=xxx
> # mipsel-linux-gcc -mips[3|4|5|64]
> # mipsel-linux-gcc -march=xxx
>
> will ever use 64bit registers. I hope they won't. If it is the case,
> I have no problems to ignore EF_MIPS_ARCH when EF_MIPS_MACH is not
> zero.

 I do hope gcc won't use 64-bit registers if invoked this way, obeying the
implied ABI.  Gas should probably accept whatever it receives, though, as
it does e.g. for ".set mips" overrides.  It uses the ABI to set the
register width for addressing, so macros should expand properly.