Re: relocations with addenda

Hi Corey,

> Thank you for your reply.  We thought this may be the case. Is it
> required for use to port both LD and GAS?

Yes...

> It seemed to me from some comments in the LD source code that it
> reads in the input object files and stores them (in RAM) in a
> format-neutral way.

The input section headers and symbol tables are converted into an
internal format, but relocations and section contents are not
converted.

> It would seem to me that if LD is changed to output RELA then it
> does not matter that its inputs are in REL.

There is also the case of a partial link.  (Using the "-r" command
line switch to the linker).  The output of the linker in this case is
supposed to be resubmitted to the linker at a later time, and so it
needs to keep the relocations in the format that the linker will
expect.