Re: Bug in >64k-section ELF handling when linking (with -r)

But then the link doesn't exercise the >64k sections
functionality at all!  (Except perhaps for the reading part, if
there's a >64k file.)

>  Would you prefer the tests in
> ld-elf/sec64k.exp?  Perhaps best anyway to wait after a fix is
> committed; having test-suite runs hanging is inproductive.

Yes, and yes.

Thanks.  But mind you, it *does* add 30m-1h(!) YMMV to running
the test-suite, making it quite awkward.  Until Someone
optimizes the code called from lang_place_orphans(), that is.
Another, (smaller IIRC) bottleneck is
lang_check_section_addresses, which can be made O(n) rather than
O(n*n) (n sections) by creating and comparing each section with
a memory map rather than all the other sections, given searching
the sections in increasing order and a mostly-contiguous memory
map.
[Mild sarcasm] Should the test be committed regardless? BIG executables are increasingly the norm (no matter how silly we thing they are) so a little performance ``incentivisation'' might help.

More seriously, is there any chance that someone will find the time to improve BFD's performance? Apparently, for GDB, having the object file reader use MMAP is a big win.

Andrew