[PORT] BeOS port problem and suggestion

Hi the list,

When Be was maintening its own gnupro version, they took care to handle
some specifics area of BeOS inside them port.

One is a problem with the BeOS fseek that rely on BFS filesystem : on
BFS when you fseek on a new create file, none of offset is set with
zeros. So if you fseek/seek and you don't use the pass area, when you
will write your file, you will have some garbage inside.

I would like to handle this problem like this :

First modify the configure tools chain and add a test to verify how
fseek/seek work on the host platform. If I detect a problem (such the
BeOS one), use a bfd_seek()/bfd_fseek() functions in place of seek()/
fseek().

I will provide code for those two functions.

Questions :

Any advice on this ?
Where and how I call the source file where I'll store this two
functions ?
Since bfd is common to binutils/gcc, where I will send my patchs ?
Since the focus is set on gcc 3.x does my patch could be include even
in the 2.95.3 tree ? (We currently use 2.95.3 since the ABI change made
in 3.x don't allow us for now to use this compiler tree, but we plan
it)

General Questions (may be OFF TOPICS ):

Be was using a special ABI tag :

# Configuration         ABI OS  ABI version
# -------------         ------  -----------

*-.*-linux.*           0       2.0.0   # earliest compatible kernel
version

*-.*-gnu-gnu.*         1       0.0.0

sparc-sun-solaris2.*    2       2.0.0   # just an arbitrary value

i[3456]86-.*-beos.*     10      4.0.0   # not official

As you can see, it was not official.

Does the status of this ABI tag is allways unofficial ? Where can I ask
to register this one ?

THX in advance

Thierry (BeFree)