Re: MIPS assembler branch relaxations

On Sep 16, 2002, Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com> wrote:

>> Does the linker refrain from doing relaxations on machine code
>> generated from opcodes assembled while .set nomacro was in effect?

> What linker relaxations?

coff-mips does them for embedded pic.  I thought we did more of those,
given the references to linker relaxations in comments in the
assembler.

Ok, I'm now convinced not doing such relaxations under certain
conditions is the way to go.  But what are the exact conditions?
nomacro (as suggested), noat (to avoid clobbering $at in the expanded
sequences) and no gp (to avoid depending on uninitialized values)?