Re: Linux/PPC 32 bit problem with .data > 64M?

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 01:31:04PM -0400, mendell@ca.ibm.com wrote:
> The problem is that .plt is placed after .data, and the really big .data (>
> 2**26) prevents the relocations from fitting.  Is there any fix for this?

You could try putting .data before .text by suitable linker script
hackery.  If moving sections around won't make everything reach, then
the next thing to try is somehow modifying the startup files to avoid
the 24 bit branches, eg. by loading the destination into a register.

Or you could use powerpc64-linux, where we automagically insert long
branch stubs so that really huge images "just work".  :)

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre