Re: Prelinking relative relocations in shared objects

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> writes:

> That doesn't indicate which version you are using, so I don't know.
> collect2 is a wrapper around the real linker, and you didn't indicate
> which version of the real linker you are running.

Ok, sorry...

I was using  2.9.5 of unknown provenance, and later tried
with 2.12.90.0.7 20020423 (from the debian cross toolchain source packages)

>> To me it seems as if -Bsymbolic only sets a flag that makes the
>> runtime linker behave differently.
>
> -Bsymbolic does set a flag.  It normally also eliminates relocations
> for references within the same shared library.  It is possible that
> this isn't implemented for ARM; it requires some processor specific
> work, and I don't know if that work has been done for ARM.

Both 2.9.5 and the 2.12.90 did not show up any source size on

Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> writes:

> Have you tried making the symbols which should not be exported
> from the shared library .hidden in assembly or hide them through (possibly
> anonymous) version script?

I have now :-), thanks. I put in an overly aggressive script that made
everything local to test.  This has no effect on the 2.9.5 ld but with
2.12.90 all the PC24 relocations have now become R_ARM_NONE, with the size
of the relocations table reduced by about 50%. As I am greedy, any chance
I could get the R_ARM_NONE removed as well.

> You can also have a look at prelink
> (ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/SRPMS/SRPMS/prelink-0.2.0-8.src.rpm).

I will thanks.

Jan