cvs diff howto?

Hi guys,

You will probably think this is a stupid, newbie question, but I'm trying anyway: First I download the latest version of the binutils repository and then I do a couple of changes that should be sent to this list. What is the preferred way to invoke diff? Run it manually by using diff or by using cvs diff? I expect the latter to be the best thing, and what is the recommended command-line options to use with this kind of diff? Examples is very appreciated...

Thanks,
Svein E. Seldal