This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [patch] ns32k gas/bfd cleanup
- From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian at airs dot com>
- To: Matt Thomas <matt at 3am-software dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: 29 Jul 2002 20:53:45 -0700
- Subject: Re: [patch] ns32k gas/bfd cleanup
- References: <email@example.com>
Matt Thomas <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> I strongly believe these should as_fatal errors since they result in
> an incorrect object being generated. When I was updating the VAX gas
> for ELF, I changed a lot of uses of as_warn to as_fatal. This was due
> to the fact that a build would seemingly succeed but create non-functional
> programs. If there is a problem in assembling a program, I want gas
> to fail so I correct it.
as_bad, probably, but surely not as_fatal. as_fatal should be used
very rarely, only for some case where it is likely that the assembler
has completely lost track of the input file so any future errors are
most likely completely meaningless.