This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: 3.3 PATCH: Handle mips gas 2.13 -mdebug switch
- From: Eric Christopher <echristo at redhat dot com>
- To: Rainer Orth <ro at TechFak dot Uni-Bielefeld dot DE>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: 19 Jul 2002 14:07:46 -0700
- Subject: Re: 3.3 PATCH: Handle mips gas 2.13 -mdebug switch
- References: <15672.26009.889725.202794@xayide.TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
> mips-sgi-irix6*o32 configuration. The problem is that the assembler
> requires the new -mdebug switch to correctly assemble input files with
> stabs-in-mdebug or ecoff-in-mdebug debugging information.
> The following patch fixes a large part of the problem:
> * It detects if the assembler used supports the -mdebug switch at all.
> * If so, it defines a new mdebug_asm_spec to handle the core of the
> ** If the default debugging format is DWARF-2, only gcc invokations with
> -gstabs* or -gcoff* need to pass -mdebug on to gas.
> ** If the default debugging format is Stabs or ECOFF, -mdebug must be
> always passed unless -gdwarf-2* is specified.
Couple of things:
0) I was just working on this myself. If you require #1 it's much easier
1) I wish there was a way to require certain versions of gas with
certain versions of gcc.
2) The configure part of this patch is missing :)
3) I'm trying to get rid of SDB_DEBUGGING, in a patch I'll be committing
shortly I'm moving everything but mips-ecoff, mips-sni, and irix5. I'm
not sure about the o32 irix6.
4) The patch in general looks ok to me after these comments. You'll need
more approval than me though.
I will not grease the monkey bars