Re: RFC & patch: Rework MIPS command-line handling

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Thiemo Seufer wrote:

> > >I'd prefer to select the default ABI at the configure time, from the
> > >target triplet ideally.  E.g. I use a local patch that select the 64
> > >ABI as the default for binutils if configuring for mips64*-*-linux*.
> > >The same is set in the specs file for gcc for this target.
>
> I'd prefer this, too. My local patch for mips64*-*-linux* uses n32
> as default because n64 is only useful for OS kernels and WRT userland
> for large memory machines.

 Or for testing 64-bit cleanness of software, which usually helps
portability.  I'm particularly fond of running a 64-bit userland with
binaries linked at a base address of 0x120000000 (the default for
Alpha/Linux) or similar.  This way pointer crops manifest immediately.
The performance hit, I may live with.  Hence my local patch defaults to
64.  It would be nice to be able to select the preference at the configure
time.