Re: support for FreeBSD and GNU/FreeBSD

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 10:55:33AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 08:00:54AM -0700, H. J. Lu wrote:
> > I am not sure if GNU/FreeBSD should be anything special. For all I
> > know, the only reason FreeBSD wants a special target is to run some
> > very OLD static Linux binaries, which don't have the .note.ABI-tag
>
> Not quite true.  FreeBSD doesn't parse .note.ABI-tag sections.  I don't
> want to get into the debate about that being the best way of branding the
> syscall ABI.

As I understand, NetBSD also supports the .note.ABI-tag section. Why
not support it in GNU/FreeBSD? I assume GNU/FreeBSD binaries have a
.note.ABI-tag section, don't they? I believe it is trivial to add it
to the GNU/FreeBSD kernel.

> > Why does anyone care about them? I don't think anyone will
> > miss much if Linux drops their support.
>
> I can't quite parse this, but I can say that FreeBSD'ers would
> definiately miss if Acroread, StarOffice, WordPerfect, and serveral other
> large binary-only packages stopped working.  But we post-install brand

Which of those are the static binaries without the .note.ABI-tag
section?

H.J.