Re: support for FreeBSD and GNU/FreeBSD

Alan Modra writes:

> Which "branding" scheme do you want to be default, the one somewhat
> incompatible with the ELF standard or the one more grossly
> incompatible?  ;)

The grossly incompatible one, because that's the format that all
FreeBSD kernel versions support.

> You should be defining OLD_FREEBSD_ABI_LABEL and reversing the test.
> Think --enable-targets=all with a non-freebsd main target.

But then someone using --enable-targets=all would get binaries which
run on FreeBSD >= 4.1 only, whereas someone using
--host=i486-pc-freebsd[-gnu] would get binaries which run on all
FreeBSD versions. That would be confusing.

I think we should wait two years or so before making
NEW_FREEBSD_ABI_LABEL the default.

Bruno