This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: support for FreeBSD and GNU/FreeBSD
- From: "David O'Brien" <obrien at FreeBSD dot org>
- To: Bruno Haible <haible at ilog dot fr>
- Cc: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 13:14:13 -0700
- Subject: Re: support for FreeBSD and GNU/FreeBSD
- Organization: The NUXI BSD group
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: obrien at FreeBSD dot org
On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 08:03:40PM +0200, Bruno Haible wrote:
> Here is a patch to add support for the executable and shared library format
> that the FreeBSD kernel understands. It is a variant of ELF with a special
> "brand" label in the first 16 bytes of the object. Without a kernel patch
> or an (unreliable and privilege requiring) kernel customization, the kernel
> will only accept for execution objects carry this "brand" label.
This isn't 100% accurate. For dynamic binaries, the branding is not
required and the kernel will "accept" (load and run) them fine.
For static binaries this is true.