Re: X Libraries/linking

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 05:16:57PM -0700, H. J. Lu wrote:
> How hard to fix gas? 32bit/64bit PPC share the same source code. It
> shouldn't be too hard to make the 64bit selection a run-time option.
> The worst case is to install the powerpc64-linux as under the tool
> directory.

It's probably not that hard to support bi-arch in powerpc gas.  I just
haven't got around to it.  And yes, you can solve the problem by
configuring powerpc-linux tools to support powerpc64 and a partial
install of powerpc64-linux tools, ie. everything but ld.

> > incompatibilities in utilities such as objcopy due to the default
> > target being the 32 bit one.  Those reasons are why I think we need to
>
> objcopy should be able to deal with it just fine. If not, it is a bug.
> Let's fix it.

I'm talking about situations where one of the tools does things
differently for the default target.  See bfd/format.c
bfd_check_format_matches

	  /* If this is the default target, accept it, even if other
	     targets might match.  People who want those other targets
	     have to set the GNUTARGET variable.  */
	  if (temp == bfd_default_vector[0])

I'm not worried about the tools coping.  I'm worried that package
Makefiles will need modifying to specify an explicit bfd target.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre