Re: configure with relative srcdir causing absolute pathname ingcc/Makefile

Hans-Peter Nilsson writes:
 > On Thu, 30 May 2002, Doug Evans wrote:
 > > When you configure with a relative srcdir, as in
 > >
 > > mkdir obj
 > > cd obj
 > > ../src/configure blah
 > >
 > > this is supposed to avoid absolute pathnames appearing in Makefiles.
 > > This makes it easy to move the tree around.
 > > [at least things used to work that way, dunno if this is a documented rule]
 >
 > Probably just a coincidence that it worked that way.  I don't
 > think a relative srcdir *should* differ from an absolute one.
 > If you really think it should be that way, it needs to be
 > written down *somewhere*.

Note that src/config-ml.in distinguishes 3 different cases of srcdir:
absolute, relative-not-dot, dot.

>From src/config-ml.in:
# Things are complicated because 6 separate cases must be handled:
# 2 (native, cross) x 3 (absolute-path, relative-not-dot, dot) = 6.

Also note that src/configure goes to the effort of preserving
the relativeness of srcdir.

>From src/configure:
### figure out what to do with srcdir
                        case "${srcdir}" in
                        ".") newsrcdir=${srcdir} ;; # no -srcdir option.  We're building in place.
                        /* | [A-Za-z]:[\\/]* ) # absolute path
                                newsrcdir=${srcdir}/${cfg_dir}
                                srcdiroption="--srcdir=${newsrcdir}"
                                ;;