reading/writing relocation sections with bfd(binutils 2-11)

My problem is the following: The first step of a project I deal with
is to copy an elf file using bfd (lateron, the file will be modified,
that's why I can't use objcopy).
Reading and writing the 'regular' sections is no problem, but since
there seem to be no relocation sections in the bfd structure, I have
to manage it another way.
I found two ways to get the relocation information:
bfd_canonicalize_reloc()		and
section->relocation

I think about reading the relocation information and add it 'manually'
sectionwise to the output file... but I hope there is a more comfortable
way to manage this...

If this should be the wrong list to ask or
if there should be earlier threads dealing with related topics
(or there is somewhere a manual which explains what I need to know),
I want to apologize.

kind regards
André Hauser