This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
String table optimization?
- From: Axel Kittenberger <Axel dot Kittenberger at maxxio dot com>
- To: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:48:36 +0200
- Subject: String table optimization?
- Organization: Maxxio Technologies
We recently investigated the string tables from some of our binaries with
`strings`, and discovered that a lot of strings are duplicates. So to optimze
in regards of size, can they be combined in the final binary? After all it
are string _constants_.
Do you know of a ld switch one can issue, or can someone explain why this
systematicly could not be done safely?