This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: ordinal linking for cygwin ld
- From: Charles Wilson <cwilson at ece dot gatech dot edu>
- To: Robert Collins <robert dot collins at itdomain dot com dot au>
- Cc: Ralf Habacker <Ralf dot Habacker at freenet dot de>, Kde-Cygwin <kde-cygwin at kde dot org>, Binutils <binutils at sources dot redhat dot com>, Cygwin-Apps <cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 19:03:59 -0400
- Subject: Re: ordinal linking for cygwin ld
- References: <FC169E059D1A0442A04C40F86D9BA7600C5F21@itdomain003.itdomain.net.au>
Robert Collins wrote:
> The PE spec (as I read it) indicates that as long as a name is included
> (ie it's not link-only-by-ordinal) then ordinals can change and nothing
> will break.
> It's only when the only link information is the ordinal that problems
> will appear.
That's what I thought, too, until I got bit. Check the cygwin(-apps?)
ml archives during spring/summer 2000. At the time, the symptoms seemed
like a smoking gun: link by ordinal == link ONLY by ordinal. OTOH,
binutils on cygwin was royally broken at the time, DJ was transitioning
away from cygwin, Mumit had been gone for half a year or more, and bit
rot was setting in.
Perhaps the problems that burned me then were due to broken
binutils/maintainerless cygwin-gcc, and it wasn't the smoking gun I
thought it was.
OTOH, if you've linked by ordinal, and then you strip symbols -- are the
names of the imports still retained?