This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Changing GAS for ARM to accept semicolon as a comment character ?
- From: Nick Clifton <nickc at cambridge dot redhat dot com>
- To: Richard dot Earnshaw at arm dot com
- Cc: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com, linux-arm at lists dot arm dot linux dot org dot uk
- Date: 12 Apr 2002 12:10:05 +0100
- Subject: Re: Changing GAS for ARM to accept semicolon as a comment character ?
- References: <200204121105.MAA23580@cam-mail2.cambridge.arm.com>
> This would silently break any file that relied on it. In
> particular, I believe ';' is the only supported statement separator,
> so I think removing it would make #define macros in assembly files
> that need to generate more than one statement impossible.
Right - which was why I was asking - to see if there was any code that
actually used it.
> It would certainly break NetBSD's support code.
Darn - oh well. I don't suppose NetBSD would like to switch to a 'one
instruction per line' approach for their assembler source code ?