This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: binutils & Windows device drivers
- From: Laurent Pinchart <laurent dot pinchart at skynet dot be>
- To: Nick Clifton <nickc at cambridge dot redhat dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 11:56:42 +0200
- Subject: Re: binutils & Windows device drivers
- References: <3CA17B05.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
>>Could anyone tell me if binutils supports the PE-386 format used by
>>Windows device drivers (.sys) ?
>Sadly, it appears that this format is not supported.
Actually the .sys format seems to be a 'standard' PE-i386. The problem I
experienced with the latest CVS binutils was that
IMAGE_SCN_MEM_NOT_PAGED was not supported. I removed the check in bfd,
and I got objdump to work properly (which was all I needed). Is there an
easy way to add support for IMAGE_SCN_MEM_NOT_PAGED without too much
changes in BFD ?
>In fact it is not clear of the specification for this format is in the
>public domain. If it is a proprietary specification belonging to
>Microsoft, then it will not be possible to add code to binutils to
>handle this format.